Battery safe flanks

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
Viking709
Sous-lieutenant

Battery safe flanks

Message par Viking709 » lun. 17 août 2020 00:05

Can two batteries side by side have safe flanks by a single infantry unit like the Russian large Batteries?

Viking709
Sous-lieutenant

Re: Battery safe flanks

Message par Viking709 » sam. 22 août 2020 05:07

Also it looks like the supporting infantry can give rear support to only one battery but not both

Adrian Steer
Capitaine

Message par Adrian Steer » lun. 7 sept. 2020 10:31

I was wondering the same myself. I have two large Russian batteries batteries with the C in C and fight them side by side. However neither offers support to each other as they are unformed. But if I plonk an infantry unit behind both at the joint I believe this gives support to both units flanks in the middle. However I think it may be a bit of a stretch to claim the single unit supports all four flanks of the unit of the two large batteries although page 49 says artillery protected by infantry has two safe flanks. page 62 further says artillery is protected if infantry is placed in contact with its rear. I would say that for large batteries a single unit of infantry can only protect the one battery on both flanks by lining up directly behind it as per the picture on page 62 as its supposed to represent guns deployed just in front of the infantry to allow the gunnery to take cover behind the infantry. So to answer your question yes it would seem reasonable to me that one unit of infantry can offer support on both flanks of one battery but shouldn't be allowed to do so for two batteries side by side. However if more experienced players have a different view I would be interested to hear it.

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 7 sept. 2020 15:35

I will need to check the rules, but I think a unit can only give rear support to one unit.

Répondre