Reserves (Again)

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Reserves (Again)

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 28 févr. 2021 20:47

The more I get into this subject the more confused I seem to get.

Concerning operational moves, p. 41 indicates that a division must have the "Reserve" order to make operational moves. It also says that units can make operational moves during multiple turns. This is odd, since on-table divisions under a "Reserve" order cannot move, fire, or change formation (p. 32) and divisions entering from off-table "Reserve" are given an order (presumably not "Reserve" again since then the units of that division then will not be able to move, fire. or change formation once on-table as per p.32) which is applied immediately (p.68). So how can a unit ever make operational moves during multiple turns?

Any enlightenment anyone can provide on this will be greatly appreciated.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Re: Reserves (Again)

Message par zeitoun » dim. 28 févr. 2021 22:35

Hi,

i never seen operational moves during multiple turns but it could be possible.

Imagine 4 french volunteers LN M3 C Ft1 Elan. with a reserve order entering table in turn 2. With 1 PC they can make 3 moves ( operational moves for class C ) , After this 3 moves they are still more than 8 UD from ennemies. So on turn 3they can still made operational moves to reach the battlefield.

It could happen in 300 points battle on a big table. In 200 points battle, it's more difficult.

When your start in RESERVE order, unless you play a scenario, you MUST be out off the table. Then this division enter in 2 ways:

keep the reserve Order , made operational moves during the MANEUVER order , and at the end of the operational move , place the new order marker.
OR
Place the new order maker , and activate this division in the order sequence.

Hope i'm clear, my English is not very good.

regards
Cordialement

Olivier M

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 1 mars 2021 00:03

Your English is clearer than some sections of the English version of the rules 😊😊.

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 1 mars 2021 00:32

Zeitoun, your English is very clear and understandable. I understand what you are saying, but I'm afraid it just is not what the English RAW say on the subject. I quoted what the English rules say on the subject, and I still do not see how any unit(s) can make operational moves on multiple turns.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » lun. 1 mars 2021 08:49

Thanks all,

Viperomilan i understand what you mean and i agree it's confusing.

p32 : units in reserve Mode cannot move, as long as the division have this order.
p41: units in reserve mode can make operational move when entering the battlefield. let me explain the sequence.

1 You MUST have this order previously the new order to make opérational move .
2 CIC must spend 1 PC to change this order
3 Now you have another order ( Attack, stay etc...)
4 you can make operational move ( during the MANEUVER phase ) ( for this purpose we keep the reserve order visible near the general to keep in mind that you move in the maneuver phase and not in the attack phase. You have loose the reserve order at the begining of the turn)
5 if i want to continue operational moves after the first turn, i keep both order ( the reserve one and the new one next to my general. )

This is the critical point, as you see , The operational move can continue at this point while the new order is still in progress

6 at the end of the operational move you "officially" change the order for the next turn to enter in the full order sequence ( RETREAT / MANEUVER/ ATTACKS etc.... )

If previously you were in Attack order, and you change for an Engage order, it's impossible to make an operational move.

Hope i understanding what is written in the rule.

However i understand that "in general" french rules are too flexible :lol: :lol: :lol: with 2 words we can write a book.

Regards
Olivier
Cordialement

Olivier M

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 1 mars 2021 19:42

I understand you perfectly I think. I won't even argue that what you've written doesn't make a certain amount of sense. My problem is that everything you've written appears to have been made up out of whole cloth and appears nowhere in the English RAW.

zeitoun
Maréchal d'Empire

Message par zeitoun » lun. 1 mars 2021 20:45

It's not so clear in the french Rules set. It comes from lot of games and discussion with author and other players during tournaments. And lot of good senses.

Currently we are working on the new FAQ, and we want also to translate it in English. Probably it can help.
Cordialement

Olivier M

Répondre