Engage orders and Cavalry threat

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
gibbyj
Adjudant

Engage orders and Cavalry threat

Message par gibbyj » mer. 26 févr. 2020 15:28

A british division with 3 Line infantry and artillery battery advance with Engage orders. They halt because they come within range of 2 French LC.
At the time they form up as Line/Artillery/Square with the other line behind the line. The LC subsequently charge and are forced to flee disordered.
Meanwhile partially in front of the square is an objective hill with French horse artillery at the top and Dragoons behind the crest.

As the LC are no longer able to charge (both disordered) does the british division have to advance half its units because it cannot see the dragoons.
If they do advance, this will give the dragoons an opportunity charge.
cheers
Jim

sueznick
Soldat

Re: Engage orders and Cavalry threat

Message par sueznick » ven. 28 févr. 2020 11:46

In my opinion they have to continue with their engage order so must advance. I don't see how they can be opportunity charged because they can stop when they get within 3 UD of the French guns. Also, don't the dragoons have to be able to see them to charge them?

gibbyj
Adjudant

Message par gibbyj » ven. 28 févr. 2020 12:18

Yes, that's what I think. 3ud from the artillery would put them 4ud from the dragoons and my reading of hills is that if it's gentle the dragoons and british could see each other but if it's a rough hill (steep) the British wouldn't see the dragoons but the dragoons would see them.

cheers
Jim

prussianhussaruk
Brigadier

Message par prussianhussaruk » ven. 28 févr. 2020 13:04

Under visibility page 70, Is who can and can't see to and from a hill, not sure it is as simple as you think.

If the infantry can't see the cavalry then they cannot react to them and the cavalry will only be able to charge if it can see the infantry.

Don

gibbyj
Adjudant

Message par gibbyj » ven. 28 févr. 2020 19:09

Yes agreed.
P70  A unit situated on the plateau of a gentle hill less than one UD from the ridge line can see and be seen by the units below.
 A unit situated on the reverse slope of a steep hill at one UD or less from the ridge line can see without being seen beyond the ridge line.
cheers
Jim

Répondre