Artillery "under skirmisher fire"

Ask a question about rules
Répondre
viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Artillery "under skirmisher fire"

Message par viperofmilan » dim. 27 sept. 2020 00:10

Do both detached skirmisher units and formed unit's integral skirmishers count as placing an unlimbered artillery unit "under skirmisher fire" for purposes of applying the -1 the the artillery's shooting?

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Re: Artillery "under skirmisher fire"

Message par RogerGreenwood » dim. 27 sept. 2020 15:16

Never considered this one before. However, I can see no reason why integrated skirmishers fire should be any different to other skirmisher fire.
Roger

viperofmilan
Sous-lieutenant

Message par viperofmilan » lun. 28 sept. 2020 01:13

Thanks. That is what I thought as well. My opponent thought only detached skirmishers should qualify, but he was not an disinterested commentator since we were in the middle of a game. :lol:

Duc d'Brisbane
Sergent

Message par Duc d'Brisbane » lun. 28 sept. 2020 02:45

I like that ruling - it makes sense considering historical deployments, and concurs with Reisswitz (Kriegspiel) when it comes to the treatment of skirmishers vs artillery.

I have a followup question that is related too - about intergral skirmishers being allowed to fire during prep fire phases. In our games, we allow it, since it also fits in with historical accounts, and makes sense to do so. As far as possible, integral skirmishers act just like detached, except they cant independently move.

In some scenarios, we also apply the option of allowing a player to group some line unit's skirmishers into detatched units for the duration of the game - sometimes the French did this with detached elite formations by stripping the voltiguers. We also allow it for the late war Prussians sometimes to be able lose the SK rating for the line units, and have a full Fusilier bn as 2 detached Sk elements (there is some additional points cost to do this, but its a good option depending on the mission)

RogerGreenwood
Chef de bataillon

Message par RogerGreenwood » lun. 28 sept. 2020 09:49

Just read the rules. It is very clear. Artillery under fire is from either integrated or detached skirmishers. Preparatory fire is only detached skirmishers.

Répondre